Two Month Old Baby Fed Baijiu By Mistake

Two Month Old Baby Fed Baijiu By MistakeA two month old baby was fed a milk formula mixed with baijiu after the mother mistook it for water. The baby had drank around ten ml of the formula when the parents realised there was a strong smell of alcohol coming from the bottle.

When rushed to hospital for emergency treatment, the infant was unconscious in the mothers arms

The doctors explained that the effects on the gastrointestinal tract and liver could be acute and should be treated immediately.

But the effects on the nervous system would require long term attention, alcohol once ingested by an infant can cause low blood sugar, leading to seizures and coma or could slow the heart rate down to a fatal level.

The parents stated that in their haste to feed the hungry baby, they picked up what they believed was water to mix with the formula, not realising it was a bottle containing baijiu.

Baijiu is a clear liquid with an alcohol content of between 28% up to 68%

Further reading: What is baijiu?